Verjus experiment

Decided to do a quick experiment from necessity.

 
I have a nice green seedless grapevine growing in the back yard. There are always more grapes on it than it can support so they start falling in the middle of summer. It's a sad waste. 



I had to take down some of the grapes bunches so the rest could hopefully ripen to sweetness. So now I have a bowl of green grapes.... what to do?



Little time for research on this when you have a perishable sitting on the table. Thankfully, someone else did the research: https://coquinaria.nl/en/verjuice/ 

Verjus it is! 

Also that site noted a sorrel and parsley variety, both of which I'm growing...so, maybe later?

Cleaned up the grapes. Put them through the blender and pressed the juice by hand through a cloth. 



The dregs we'll use with a meat marinade, for less waste. 



And got a bottle of verjus. Very sour. Nice lemon substitute flavor wise. 


Some of this is to be shared. As I suspect this is too much for me to use before it goes bad. I have about a month and not a lot of time for cooking experiments as there's other crafting to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nalbound hose

 Nalbinding adventures. This was the 3 rd and 4 th set of socks I have nalbound, respectively. I am still working on getting sizing consis...